The Weymouth Trading Post, Main Street, Weymouth is the oldest general store in Eastern Canada. The store has been in continuous operation since 1837 and has had only three owners during that period.
The Trading Post once housed one of the first three Royal Banks of Canada (Merchants Bank of Halifax) in the country, as part of the ‘general’ line of products and services available at the store. The Trading Post staff is still using the original safe owned by the bank today.
On November 30th, 2002 the Weymouth Trading Post was officially registered as a Digby County Heritage Property. Gordon Campbell of Kentville, Nova Scotia, a descendant of the original owners, unveiled the heritage plaque.
Unfortunately the Weymouth Trading Post has closed effective May 2010.